Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Ghosts of Christmas Past.





Like many children in 1982, I spent countless hours staring at the above images in the Sears wish book and still more hours begging for them as presents, nay, offerings at my spoiled altar of pre-adolescentdom. The scary part is seeing how much these silly things cost and knowing that my great-grandmother (Gram) bought me almost ALL of them (except for the Wild West, Monster, and Castle sets in scan #1). I mean, sure, I was only eight years old, but still damn I was a spoiled little brat. I can only hope that Heather and I can instill more of a sense of moderation in our kids.

I was SUCH a rotten little shit as a kid and I'm glad my parents set me straight. Heck, it only took them 33 years. Compared with the century it took to build the Great Wall of China, that seems like progress to me. Seeing these images tonight really brought back a flood of memories and reminded me of how much I miss my Gram. She’s been gone now for almost a decade and I still miss her so much.

Wow, that was quite the self-loathing and depressing stroll down memory Lane, wasn't it?!

1 comment:

Sandalstraps said...

Sorry it took so long to get here - tonight while I was supposed to be studying I finally became bored enough to find your new blog.

Anyway, I wish to invite you to participate in one of my stupid reader contests, as the prize is named after you.

Behold: the Dave Chapman award for creative use of the Internet.